Saturday, January 3, 2009

My gazillion WIPs

I really enjoy starting new things, and although I LOVE having something finished (whether it is a sampler or a sweater, or a graduate degree), the part in between starting and finishing-- not so much. (My love of starting things and not working on them is proven by the fact that I have had this blog since September 2007 and this is my first post-- January 3, 2009!)

For 2009, I have decided that the joy of having a finished sampler to admire is greater than the joy of starting yet another one (or shopping for the next one-- which admittedly is my VERY favorite part of stitching).

Anyway, I have been inspired by the "Quaker walls" of several of the stitchers at the Hand Dyed Fibers forum (especially Donna who finished 13 Quaker repros in 2008!) and have designated 2009 my year to get the samplers I love so much finished. (Framing and hanging them will be a whole 'nuther story. The 4 finished samplers on the left of this page are still unframed!) I have several that are very close to being finished and some real BAPs that could be finished this year with a little dedication.

To keep my vow in mind, I spent most of New Year's Day photographing my chosen focus pieces for 2009. (I have a gazillion more WIPs than this, but I'm obsessed with repros at the moment, so I picked these!) I allowed myself a small New Year's Day start (I had the chart and fibers on hand and only had to buy fabric.) I'll take and post a pic when I get a chance, but it is the AH 1810 Westown School American Quaker by Sabine Taterra-Gundacker in HDF Examplar Primitive Black (mostly) with some TBD colors of HDF from my stash on 40ct Stitches and Spice's (an Australian company) hand dyed Spice Blend Golden Wattle linen. The stitched area will be a little less than 7"X7" which I think will be adorable.
Anyway, (again!) I am going to blog and post the pics of my chosen focus WIPs here so I have a place to come look at them and remind myself how close I am to finishing. If anyone else stumbles across this blog and wants to cheer me on, that would be rockin' awesome.

No comments: